Friday, May 10, 2013

In times of emotional and spiritual deprivation...

...music really helps out.

Since I claimed days ago that I was DONE buying used CDs from Amazon/eBay...the binge has gone on. And not just limited to things I once owned and now felt the need to get back. No, it's now advanced to my feeling so deprived that I had to check out multiple online lists of "The Best Albums of the 2000s" and such (by Pitchfork, NME, Spin, Rolling Stone---RS I absolutely don't trust since they put EVERY Bruce and Dylan album on it).

And so I've ordered, based on lists and feeling I've been missing out on music in the last decade because of personal strife and inability to relax and explore/enjoy music organically:

The Strokes: This Is It
White Stripes: Elephant
Arcade Fire: Funeral
Jay Z: The Blueprint / Reasonable Doubt
Kanye West: College Dropout
Outkast: Speakerboxx/The Love Below
The Marshall Mathers LP

And then, of course, there was the older stuff that I once had and at some point sold and now wanted to own again as part of my personal history:

U2: Boy, War, Rattle and Hum
REM: Murmur, Lifes Rich Pageant, Dead Letter Office
Moulin Rouge: Soundtrack
Grease: Soundtrack
Cheap Trick: debut album, Heaven Tonight, All Shook Up
Bob Dylan: Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Springsteen: Born in the USA
Culture Club: Hits
Sugarcubes: Life's Too Goood
Deeelite: World Clique
Mavericks: Hits

And then stuff I'd never owned before but knew a lot about and now wanted for my own:

Elton John: Hits I and Hits '76-86
Dusty in Memphis
Radiohead: Kid A

I suppose I'm not done yet. I suppose I'll never be done.

No comments: