Monday, July 22, 2013

One day at a friggin' time!

Good lord, but I've been paralyzed for the past 2 weeks after getting my new computer, for so many reasons.

Even at $1000, even after I'd specifically asked the guy at the store: It turned out not to have a disc player (I'd specifically been buying cheap CDs online in order to transfer them to my new iPod, which now came to a halt); and I'd already registered my iPod with the old computer -- wasn't sure how to get everything over to my new computer); I messed up my access to the Microsoft Office system that I'd paid for by not scratching the card correctly (thus completely obliterating the Key numbers I needed); I had high-paying freelance work offers (which I was desperate for after dropping almost the last of my money on the big-purchase computer item) -- but they required Acrobat Pro, and the folks that I bought the old Pro from just 5 months ago somehow couldn't find the Product Key for me to transfer the permission to the new computer. And, to top it all off, I couldn't seem to figure out how to use the new Windows 8 operating system (touching the screen like mad, but not even getting simple things like copying/pasting to work).

This past weekend things came to a horrible head: I NEEDED to spend time on my new computer, figuring out the Windows 8. I NEEDED to start on some of the freelance stuff, doing what could be done with only the free Reader and not the Pro. But did I? No. I just spent both Saturday and Sunday in bed, completely frozen with fear (depressed about my crappy personal life, but also fearful of all of the new technology-stuff I had to figure out: "I can't do this! I can't do ANYTHING!")...

Today, though, after I got home from my pleasant temp day job, slowly but surely things started to come together -- with a kindly nudge from my long-distance boss who was asking when I was going to start on the work for her. (She had always been super-nice to me ever since I worked in-house for her back up North.) Feeling horribly guilty for delaying her work so long, I made her the promise that I'd do 3 things for her tonight. Which I did. And which got me back on track overall:

I had bought online a cheap Asian plug-in disc player for $16.95 (yelling at myself the whole time for going the cheap route, but since I'd already spent $1000 on the computer, I wasn't about to spend another $100 on a player, when I'd thought the damn computer already had one within!). Testing it for the first time tonight, the cheapo player worked FINE! And a 40-minute CD downloaded in, get this: 6 minutes!! (As opposed to 40-50 minutes on my old, sluggish computer.) And once I plugged my iPod into the new computer tonight, it recognized my playlists, and the new CD I'd just downloaded, just FINE! :)

After taking my messed-up Microsoft Office card back into Best Buy last week, they replaced it without a problem and I finally tonight got it registered on my new computer!

I still haven't been able to access my old Acrobat Pro, but I still have the free trial for the next couple of weeks (thus enabling me to do work), and I found a reputable alternate PDF editor online for only $45 that I'll install once this immediate work is finished.

The trouble I was having with Windows 8 and all the screen-touching (not great when you're on a big screen and not a portable device) was solved by the online purchase of a used mouse for $5! Voila!

What a huge relief all the way around.

Still need to download a simple web editor so I can work on my Joan site from the new computer, but it's all quite doable until I get that figured out; I can actually use all of my old files that have been transferred to my new computer and make any edits on them. If I'm desperate for a brand-new clean page, I can just re-name a page and delete the old stuff, then download on FileZilla per usual.---[NOTE HOURS LATER: I just found my old web editor disc from back in 2003!!!!! With the serial number and product key!!!!! When I inserted the disc and entered the numbers, they all worked...JUST FINE!!!! I still had the disc after 10 years and a whopping 8 MOVES! Austin - NYC (Wash Heights 1, Wash Heights 2) - Jersey (roommate, then my own place) - San Antonio (mom's) - Austin (mom's, then my own apt). I literally KISSED this disc when I found it (well, after I realized it worked!) At this moment represented everything that was GOOD about this world!!]

And in the meantime, until 100% perfect: ALL of my old stuff -- 13 years' worth of stuff from my last 2 computers -- now takes up a miniscule 5 PERCENT of this new computer!! It works like a friggin' breeze! The very first time in 2 weeks I've felt happy about my insanely expensive new purchase, thinking it might actually HELP me in my life. :)

Whew!

Below is my current Happy Song (downloaded a few minutes ago from my Asian knock-off player to my iPod in mere seconds -- and now I can play back/re-watch here the YouTube video version in mere seconds, as opposed to waiting and waiting and waiting for the old computer to strain and strain to upload...How damn satisfying!)

No comments: