Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Handy Man

I got my first albums in 1977, when I was 12: The Bay City Rollers' "Dedication" was my very first; their debut album was my second. Shaun Cassidy's debut album was my third. (Shaun Cassidy was also my very first concert. The Rollers would have been my first, but their show in Fort Worth was cancelled due to lack of ticket sales.)

In the meantime, I'd been trying to figure out what else I liked. The Eagles, for instance, I'd been reading about constantly in magazines like "Rolling Stone" and I was very curious about them. Until my family went to a pizza place that had a jukebox; I was given a quarter for a couple of songs, and one that I picked was "Hotel California," just because I'd been reading so much about it. Once it came on, though, my 12-year-old self was horrified: I HATED IT! It was slow and pokey. I'd wasted my precious quarter!

My 12-year-old rock-mag reading, and listening to Kasey Kasem's Top 40 Countdown, also led me to requesting James Taylor's "JT" album as a present for some holiday or other. I'd heard "Handy Man" and "Your Smiling Face" on the radio a million times and loved them both. But once I tried the album as a whole... I HATED IT! It was slow and pokey. I'd wasted my holiday wish!

Still haven't ever learned to like The Eagles, but I just out of nostalgia purchased "JT" on CD for a miniscule $4 or something and listened to it again for the first time in 36 years... More conscious of FLOW this time... It flowed! It spoke thoughtfully about love and loss that I had not been aware of at age 12! I liked it this time! :)

Here's my favorite, "Handy Man":

No comments: