Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Jonathan Martin = Sissy?

Here's the voice-mail that rookie Martin received from Miami Dolphins' teammate Richie Incognito that led to Martin's leaving the team (in tears?) and Incognito's subsequent suspension:

"Hey, wassup, you half n----- piece of s---. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks. [I want to] s--- in your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your f---ing mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. F--- you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you."

Incognito's a cretin, for sure, but, hey, I've been called/done worse -- and I'm a girl who's travelled mostly in liberal, college-town circles. While a grad student at San Francisco State University, I saw "White trash" markered across George Strait's face in a record store; I got called a "frizzy-haired white bitch" at a movie theater where I worked because I busted some black girls for trying to get in without paying; a woman approached me at the same movie theater and, saying she could tell from my accent that I was from the South, proceeded to tell me that she loved the South but [wink, wink, nudge, nudge] -- "There are too many Mexicans"; my own graduate advisor at SF State called me and my family "Nazis" --- because I mentioned to her that my mother was German.

All of this in the supposedly "genteel" and "advanced" San Francisco. And the "Nazi" bit at a college by an intellectual mentor, no less (not just on the street in the heat of the moment).

Growing up in a small town in Texas and going to undergrad school at UT-Austin, I'd never heard such creepiness until I lived in San Francisco and went to grad school there for two years. I was horrified by the writing across Strait's face, by the scofflaws trying to break into the theater and calling ME names, by the smug woman knocking Mexicans, by my graduate advisor. I literally escaped that town the second after I turned in my graduate thesis.

Now... did I, after all of that shit, go 'round claiming "bullying"? I did not. San Francisco was supposed to be so cool. That it turned out so creepy I blamed on me -- why, I don't know. (I was new there, I didn't know.)

As for Jonathan Martin: What did you expect from being a rookie in the NFL? A much rougher crew than San Franciscan academics. If I got called a "Nazi" and a "white bitch" and didn't complain, why are you now whining about being called a "half nigger piece of shit"? That's what crude people do, call names. The slight difference being: I got called these names while in a supposedly safe environment of a liberal town and a university setting. You got called these names while a rookie in the NFL, where hazing of a much rougher order is pretty much a given.

I don't really feel sorry for you. (Learning from Wikipedia that you'd played high school football in North Hollywood and college ball at Stanford made me even less sorry for you -- toughen up, Dude.)

No comments: