Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Relief

Have a temp assignment for "3-4 weeks." Filing and pasting labels on files. No fucking bullshit. Lunch whenever I want to take it. No answering phones and greeting people. Jeans allowed. Suggested to me that I bring an iPod to work! Thank GOD! What a perfect brief decompression from the stress of forced idiot grinning at bullshit for the past 3 months! (Best of all, my freelance contract is extended through the end of March; so while I'm not making very much at my day job, I'm nonetheless having pleasant days and then coming home and earning some money in the evening.)

p.s. Note to Self: I gotta get outta Austin. I don't care about "karma" and "30 years" and "being grateful." This ain't my town. But IS there anywhere in America where you can walk a few blocks and sit in a café/bar all day and/or night and drink and write? In San Francisco in the mid-90s, I worked on my poetry thesis for hundreds of hours in a bar on Clement Street. In Austin in the mid-80s, I sat in the Cactus Café on campus for hundreds of hours drinking and smoking and working on poetry. In Austin in the early 2000s, I wrote almost a whole screenplay in a bar (Gaby & Mo's) 2 blocks from my house on Monday nights, going in to listen to their poetry nights and staying 'til closing time. There's no such vibe anywhere around me right now.

3 comments:

Erik Bartlam said...

My spots were Tastee Donuts in Fondern (now a ****** Quizno's but, I spent so much time in there the lone waitress called the cops one night when I didn't show up HA), Waffle House on High St. (can't smoke in there anymore) and a Flyin' J truckstop on 80 (there's a Subway in the old diner area)...all in the Jackson Mississippi area.

My heart aches for Tastees sometimes but, I do have my own little room now where I can smoke and there's a space heater.

e.f.bartlam

Beth Austin said...

I think that's a cue for the way to go -- greasy-spoon-type places with no hipsterness whatsoever. (Only, I haven't had a car since I got back from NY, so I'm kind of stuck in my hipster 'hood.)

Glad to hear you have a Room of Your Own, but... back in the day when I used to write regularly, I always liked being OUT -- no home distractions, plus it was always kind of exhilarating to be GOING OUT TO WRITE.

I dunno. There's a Long John Silver's on my bus route that's always semi-empty whenever I go there for the food every couple of months. Maybe I'll try that atmosphere.

Erik Bartlam said...

Ha...careful you don't develop a malt vinegar habit. See you out in the parking lot with some sasrons in a brown bag...kicking out head lights and yelling at the people who come in to order chicken.

I know what you mean. I studied and wrote in those places because the restless part of my mind could focus on all the racket