Friday, May 30, 2014

Bus-learnin'

A 20-year-old hipster was instructing his girlfriend on the bus this afternoon, and I got to benefit! I first tuned in when the boy was mentioning Pearl Jam's re-make of 1961's "Last Kiss." Did the girl know that "the '60s" had a genre wherein the singer's boy- or girlfriend died tragically? (No, she did not: "Really!? Wow...")

OK, so there really WAS said "teen tragedy genre," albeit in the late '50s/early '60s more than "the '60s" ("Teen Angel," '59; "Leader of the Pack" '64, etc.)... I'll cut the little nerdy bugger some show-offy slack. But then he went on about Pearl Jam, et al....

"I really can't STAND those '80s bands: Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young --- I hate all of those guys. They're so way overrated." (Girl: "Really.")

Really, he gave as examples of "'80s bands" Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, and Neil Young.

No comments: