Tuesday, May 06, 2014

Today by the elevator...

... the secretary from my department looked me over and said, "I always like how you dress. Like Mary Tyler Moore."

How HAPPY this made me! :) 

For one thing, from NYC in 2007 until just 2 years or so ago, I had about 3 black shirts and 3 white shirts and 2 pairs of flats and 2 pairs of winter boots to my name. It's only recently that I've been able to start stocking up on clothes that I actually LIKED in order to try for some kind of LOOK. And late '50s/early '60s Laura Petrie/Doris Day is EXACTLY what I like: The capri/cigarette pants, the ballet slippers.

Years ago, for whatever "pseudo-Western" event it was, I went over to my brother/sis-in-law's house with pink suede boots and a glittery hot-pink cowboy shirt. My sis-in-law commented: "I never knew you thought about fashion." My reply to her was that previously it had only been POVERTY, not any lack of  THOUGHT that had prevented me from dressing appropriately for an occasion! :)

In the meantime, I'm BASKING in the glow of being told by someone, a stranger, that I have a Laura Petrie Look! :)

 

No comments: