Saturday, June 21, 2014

Keep the Lizard

In the office I just moved into, there was a crushed baby lizard stuck to the wall. (The guy before me had been in there for 30 years; lord knows when/how the lizard got crushed.)

I wanted to leave the lizard there. A co-worker who was helping me clean stuff out wanted to scrub it off of the wall. My argument for keeping it:  "When I lived in a 1930s house for 7 years, a vine decided to grow in through a crack in the wall. I let it be, just to see where it would go." By the time I left the house in 2007, the vine had stretched across the room.

The woman helping me didn't know what the fuck I was talking about. She actually said, re my vine story that I so helpfully shared with her, "What are you talking about?"

Don't think about it. Keep the Lizard.

No comments: