Saturday, June 07, 2014

With Cats

As per the previous blog entry, this is from my catching up on an old "New Yorker" magazine from Jan. 13. The premise of this "Shouts & Murmurs" column, entitled "'Downton Abbey' With Cats," is: "Look, I never want to tell stories about my children, because it always seems a little lazy. Children tend to be sort of dumb, and, in the end, the stories are always the same: children say hilarious things, and I am old and dying. So when I tell you these stories about my children let's just pretend they are about my cats."

The schtick goes on for a page, but the insight at the end is what got me:
"Downton Abbey" and "Upstairs, Downstairs" are the same thing. They are the exact same television show: about an aristocratic family living through the early twentieth century, their lives entwined with those of a plucky, makeshift family of servants below them.... And it made me understand: no matter what you do or make in life, it will be forgotten. And then people will just make it again and pretend that what you did never happened.

No comments: