Thursday, August 07, 2014

The "girl" at the left...

Marla and I never even smoked a cigarette together. We were neighbors when we were in 6th-9th grades in the late '70s, and during that time, we put on several neighborhood "Grease" and "Kiss" shows. (I was Danny and Gene Simmons; she was Sandy and Ace Frehley.) And otherwise just hung out with everyone else in the summers, playing softball, running relay races. Though whenever it came time to pick teams for softball, Marla's older sister and other grown-ups would weirdly insist, "Stephanie and Marla can't be on the same team." Why was that? Were they threatened by our goofy synchronicity?
 
Before our "synchronicity" was obvious and disturbing to other people, Marla and I ran around for years as kids. Riding horses (she was fearless, and I always rode behind her), tormenting our little brothers, getting into feuds with the kids across the highway, going to church camp together, lying out on her family's trampoline topless...
 
By 9th grade, my mother forbade me from hanging around Marla, though she lived next door. Something about my giving my mother dirty looks, which of course were Marla's fault (!).
 
The picture below disturbs me because Marla was attractive when she was a 12-to-14-year-old. When we went to summer camp together as kids, the older-teen-boy counselors in the camp were all looking at HER and ignoring me. (Even the one counselor who gave us a quiz on whose birthday it was that June day... I got "Paul McCartney" right, but... I still didn't get the boy!) When we both were in high school, me a sophomore and she a freshman, all the boys were asking HER for dates...
 
That she turned out looking like the below-left is disturbing to me. Do people just give up?
 
 

No comments: