Tuesday, September 30, 2014

From "On Being 80" by Julie Newmar

http://www.julienewmarwrites.com/story.php?idStory=110

Just discovered the "Julie Newmar Writes" website via a recommendation from a film blogger I occasionally visit. (Newmar played "Catwoman" on the '60s TV show "Batman" and was my first crush as a little girl when I saw the show in re-runs in the early '70s.)

The site is actually rather amazing! Before I clicked on the link, I thought it would be something silly, self-indulgent, perhaps semi-senile... Instead, it's very thoughtful and interestingly eclectic.

Below is from her essay "On Being 80":

It's curious sometimes how life seems to reverse itself, when what was the strongest virtue in our lifetime becomes our weakest trait. Those dancers who can't walk, singers whose voices croak, a seamstress who can't see.
In this fall from grace, from our former powers, we think that nature or God has damned us; this is not so. It is more like a peeling away of consumed fruit revealing our infinite but not yet explored core. There waiting is the next discovery, a new platform or stage to revel in.

What's so great about “agefying”? It is the power that having distance gives us. It's the view from the top.
At 80, you have patience. Patience is like a magical chess game; the magic part is being able to see six, seven steps ahead. Been there, done that stupid thing. ...

Ask and it will be given. This is easier than you may think.
Food, things, the good stuff flow to me.
True, I don't any longer race out to the post office and markets. In place I've created a remarkable delivery system. I call it: You do this for me.
I am kinder, decidedly, but a lot less tolerant of those who practice life as a soap opera.
Maybe it is a safety valve but I chose to live on top of my discomforts as well as diseases. I don't discuss, indulge in, support causes for, join chat groups, war against that which ails and annoys me. It's simply wastes energy.
I can discuss unpleasant subjects, but in a less passionate and more general way....

No comments: