Saturday, February 14, 2015

No TV in Bedroom: Good Thing Still!

I just have to remark upon how not having a TV in my bedroom is STILL a good thing. (As I mentioned in an earlier post, there's no cable outlet there, and landlady wouldn't let cable guy drill one. I'd been used to going to sleep with the TV on in the same room for 15 years now.)

As I've been doing the past 2 weeks now in my new place, I woke up today with no audiovisual distraction right in my face. Kinda lay there for a bit, then picked up my Scott/Zelda bio and read for a bit, then, as with last weekend, had the impulse to jump out of bed and go get stuff done for the day! Tried a new eatery for a breakfast taco to go; took it into work, where I stayed about 3.5 hours and got a lot done in the silence; on my way home, went again to the used book store on the corner and got a Vivienne Haigh-Wood bio plus Donna Tartt's "The Goldfinch" for $4; tried another new eatery/cafe for a salad to take home... I like this new "lifestyle"! There's stuff to do all over the neighborhood very close to where I live. Aside from the billions of food joints (some fast food, some longtime Austin staples, some newer Austin staples), there's also the bookstore, the Savers, the Dollar Store, the billions of vintage furniture stores...just lots of places to pop into without making a 1-hr bus trip. (I do miss my one tiny Tex-Mex place with the great fish tacos from my old 'hood. But other than that, there really wasn't anything for me to do just by quickly walking to, unless I wanted a crappy microwaved sandwich for $10.) Oh, and I found a place right next to the bookstore where I can get a pedi for $25 and then walk home easily in my flip-flops! This 'hood is really suiting my everyday needs! I haven't even mentioned how a 12-pack of Bud is $1.50 cheaper at the corner CVS than it was back in my old 'hood!

No comments: