Monday, July 13, 2015

Ivan's Childhood

I caught this 1962 film by Andrei Tarkovsky by accident on TCM on Sunday night.

I thought the "Masha" bits were unnecessary. I thought some of the male posing and close-ups of shirtlessness and lips were a bit forced and, yes, gay, although the actual depiction of male comradery was not either.

Both the boy and the story broke my heart.

I can't remember the last time that anything moved me.


 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
p.s. I have a suspicion that the below 1982 U2 album cover was based specifically on the above photo shown at the end of the Tarkovsky movie--only heavily sanitized, arted up. When I was 17 and bought the album, I thought the cover was profound. Looking at it now in comparison to the revelation of Ivan's final prison picture, I'm almost sickened by the saccharinity.
 
 

No comments: