Sunday, July 12, 2015

Riff-Raff-ist

Riding the bus in Austin is relatively pleasant the first round, if you've looked up the schedule ahead of time and the bus arrives as it should. It's only afterwards, if you have more stuff to do, that the whole process gets ridiculous.

My "first round" today got me to the post office nicely (to return a crappy eBay sweater). The trouble started when I then wanted to move on to shopping at Target to stock up on face wash, body wash, delicate-cycle wash, pre-brush mouthwash (which I mention because I actually do like these specific cheap Target brands that I can't buy as cheaply at the supermarket up the street). Waiting after at the upper-middle-class Hyde Park bus stop was genteel enough (only me and a hipster couple with matching skinniness and straw sun-hats). Catching the next bus further north, though, was a bit stupid: an actual drug deal going down, though the guys were low-key about it.

Once I got to the Target to get my beloved cleansing products, I was not particularly in any sort of mood, other than a mood to get my cleansing products. Once in the store, though, I found myself in "agitated" mode because of two different clusters of loud assholes. (One group was black, one was Hispanic --- is it racist to point this out? Yes? OK, let's just say they're assholes, then. Loud, obnoxious assholes acting out in a shopping center for no particular reason.) What were they doing that was so obnoxious? Oh, let's just say that various products don't particularly need to be referred to as "motherfucking" and "goddamn" over and over again at the top of one's lungs.

After my lovely Target experience, I went on to wait at the bus-stop that would carry me home... The bus I needed had apparently just passed, so I was stuck there for 40 minutes with a host of fuck-ups all clustering together in the 6 x 6 piece of shade in the Texas July and screaming amongst themselves. After the first minute or so, I decamped to a nearby bush to have a smoke and stay away from these assholes. The super-stars of the bunch were a one-legless white vet, a black drug dealer, and a simpleton Colombian that the white and black guy mocked for not making more drug money before emigrating to the United States.

Once I finally made it home to deposit my Target finds (I'd left the house at 10:30; it was now 3pm, which is INSANE for 2 errands), I headed out again to get my favorite dinner from McAllister's Deli: At this bus-stop was a big ol' bearded white guy (looking like a larger Si from "Duck Dynasty") asking me for quarters (Me: "No, sorry, I save all of mine for laundry"), then bitching about "the Obama Bus" --- Austin has a regular bus that costs a dollar to ride, and then the Rapid, which costs $1.50. This guy didn't approve of the Rapid, which, according to him, cost "3 times" the amount of the regular bus. I didn't say to him, "Thank God for the Rapid, which is less crowded and less populated by assholes such as yourself." I'm extremely glad that the extra 50 cents keeps the riff-raff away. Oh wait -- is that "riff-raff"-ist?

I need a car. I wasted 4 hours today putting up with a whole bunch of shitty people that I never should have had to be around at all. (I'll never be rich enough to live in a gated community, and I don't have kids that I've sent to a private school -- but I certainly understand the impetus for wanting such. You kinda get more Republican once you've had actual experience with what's out there.)

No comments: