Monday, June 27, 2016

Dillinger is Dead (1969)

Trying to go to sleep Sunday night; instead came upon this on TCM. Since I discovered it halfway through, I missed the opening premise: Ennui-filled designer of gas-masks is openly alienated by society.
 
Where I came in by accident: Late-night (what I thought was an artistic) man attempting to amuse himself after-hours when everyone else is asleep. He's been influenced by 1969 pop-media gun ads (including a current cover of "Time" magazine). He finds a hidden gun (wrapped in newspaper with a "Dillinger is Dead" headline). He paints it red, and then adds polka-dots. Initially leaves it hanging to let the paint dry while he goes off to snack in the kitchen. Later, he plays with his polka-dot gun. He wanders around his house with gun, wondering what he can do with it. He aims it at himself in mirrors. He aims it at sleeping women (his wife and his live-in maid). Horribly derivative pop music (early Beatles knock-offs in this later year of 1969, plus current Italian pop hits) plays on various radios in the various rooms he's in.
 
I had no idea what to expect as he went about his late-night prowls. I've been on late-night escapades myself (albeit usually sans any people inside my own home).
 
Needless to say, this movie didn't make me fall asleep.  
 
 



No comments: