Monday, June 27, 2016

Fulcrum

Fulcrum, a word that means "bedpost" in Latin, derives from the verb "fulcire," which means "to prop." When the word first appeared in English in the middle of the 17th century, "fulcrum" referred to the point on which a lever or similar device (such as the oar of a boat) is supported. It did not take long for the word to develop a figurative sense, referring to something used as a spur or justification to support a certain action. In zoology, "fulcrum" can also refer to a part of an animal that serves as a hinge or support, such as the joint supporting a bird's wing.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fulcrum

I'm antsy. There come times when "Is that all there is?" kicks in. I've lost everything and built back everything several times now. I'm now in the "Built back, now what?" stage. Don't want to repeat past mistakes, of course. But also am not ready to die right here where I was forced back for lack of any place else to go. If I'd always loved Austin, I'd be grateful. I first came here in 1983. I don't "love" the town. I like it. Thank you, Austin, for taking me back on numerous occasions. But I don't particularly want or need to be here.

No comments: