Monday, October 03, 2016

10 more months!

Every month, I'm going to announce my counting down until August of 2017, when my lease at my current apartment complex is up.

I've lived here since February 2015. I sublet from Feb. 2015 to Aug. 2015 ($875 month), then signed my own lease from Aug. 2015 to Aug. 2016 ($925 month). In August 2016, the rent was jacked up to $1000 month, and I had just bought my first car since 2007. With the new expenses, I couldn't afford to move, despite my general unhappiness with the place (guy constantly yelling downstairs, neighbor next door either cranking up his music every couple of weeks or sitting out on the stoop having hours-long phone conversations, kids screaming outside).

Plus, when I first sublet the place, I didn't pay attention to the placement of the apartment: The complex is small (which I like), in a "J"-shape... I'm located at the top of the "J"; there's parking on every side of me -- front, right, back bedroom and study. Which means I constantly hear people coming and going and hanging out and jamming their music, no matter which room I'm in. There's no "inner/back room" that I can go to for quiet. I can rarely relax. "Relaxation" means to me: Nearly complete silence. Me and my own thoughts and feelings. Vibing/being in tune with what book I'm reading, what movie I'm watching, what music I'm listening to, my work on my Joan Crawford website.

Within months of moving in, I had to abandon what I'd planned for my "study" (the 2nd bedroom of the apartment) because the yelling neighbor downstairs had his headquarters in the room just below. Where I'd initially planned to go and read was scrapped because of the guy's constant screaming on the phone and his music; that room now just holds my bookshelves and books, and my unused desk --- I have my computer on the kitchen table in the front of the apartment, trying to avoid the neighbor yelling (but then being exposed to all of the coming-and-going traffic).

That's why I'm counting down the months 'til I can leave. (Only problem: I don't think that $1000 in Austin is necessarily going to rent me a more private place next year. Trapped.)

No comments: