Sunday, February 05, 2017

"Judging" vs "Fact-checking"

Holy crap! I just spent over 6 hours on Facebook (primarily on the New Yorker site) arguing about whether or not Donald Trump was a fascist! (Me: He's not. You don't know what fascism is. Hitler was a globalist, not a nationalist, ETC.) During this whole exchange, I was called all sorts of names, like "Republicunt" and "fascist" and "bigot" and "racist" and "troll" and "uneducated." Ideas were mostly forbidden.

Re "uneducated," I tried logic, saying that I had a Master's in English --- I was then told that I must have bought that degree. 

Re "troll" --- I tried pointing out that since I'd been a New Yorker subscriber for over 20 years, I could hardly be called a "troll" for commenting on their Facebook page. Nah, I was still a troll because I disagreed with the majority.

p.s. As I was writing the above, got a blip that someone was responding to something I'd written on the New Yorker site dismissing a Trump rumor because the New Yorker had gotten the info from BuzzFeed. The responder then said, "Who is the New Yorker to judge their news sources?"

Call me old school, but... in the olden days, "judging" was known as "fact-checking."

Another p.s.: A couple of weeks ago, I got a call from an acquaintance who wanted to talk about Trump: Anyone who liked Trump was a redneck, etc. That literally made my blood run cold. I'm that serious about intellectual honesty.

No comments: