Usually I don't feel like joining in group activities, but my apartment complex's "Adults Only" Easter Egg Hunt this Friday appealed to me. ("Adults Only" for one thing --- that didn't mean "X-rated," although there was the promise of a "Golden Chick," just that kids weren't allowed; at first, I wondered why in the world kids wouldn't be allowed, since the activity was meant to appeal to kids... but then I didn't care.)
I've had one particular set of bad neighbors at this complex ever since I moved in last April (2017), right up until those guys moved out earlier this month. For a solid YEAR, I've been tense, waiting for their next obnoxious behavior: loud music, constant hanging-out right above my backyard, dogs running loose, firecrackers on holidays, etc.
Since those guys left March 5, I can relax a little more.
This Easter Egg Hunt was mildly fun. For one thing, I'd actually been looking forward to it all week, to the point where I told my boss about it and asked her for help with what basket I would use. (I didn't just want to use a garbage bag or something.) I had a small basket in my office and asked her if she had any pipe cleaners to use for a handle... No pipe cleaners, but she did have multiple sheets of tissue paper and was nice enough to fashion a GREAT Easter basket!
As it turned out, my fellow apartment dwellers were just carrying whatever crappy plastic bags; and they were aggressive in their egg hunting! I ended up with only 3 eggs.
The Egg Hunt was set to begin at 5:30pm. I watched the clock on my cable box and left my apartment at 5:29 to head to the main office... As I was approaching the office, apparently seconds after the official start time, people came RUNNING out; the Asian guy with the red backpack straps in the picture, especially! I didn't know it was like THAT! :)
After the initial BURST, people dispersed and didn't seem so spastic. I spent the next 20 minutes or so moseying around the apartment complex looking at bushes, etc., and making small-talk with other egg-searchers. It was a mildly jolly situation, but still mostly non-communicative: I talked with one guy and one old lady during the search, but most of the participants were Millennials and thus unwilling to make eye contact as we passed, even during such an interesting excursion.
As I said, I found a mere 3 eggs, that's all. I was disappointed. But not in my beautiful Easter basket that my boss made for me. p.s. After seeing the photos below that my apartment manager sent out: I really would have liked one of the succulent planters!


No comments:
Post a Comment