Sunday, April 22, 2018

Sharing a space

When you share a space with someone, one of the two has to be rather tolerant. Both have to be, but one moreso.

For a couple of days now, I've contemplated the idea of sharing my 1200-sq-ft apartment. I surely have enough space. I rarely sleep in my very nice bed because I usually go to sleep on the couch in front of the TV in the living room; so I could offer that room with bath to someone (I have 2 baths, and I usually use the other one). I have enough closet space to share one of the three with someone else.

I don't think I want anyone else to watch me sleep, though. Half of my days during the work-week, I come home and work on my Joan Crawford website; those days are fine if someone else is wandering around the house; I could easily chat during Joan. The other half, though, I come home and just want to collapse on my couch and channel-surf and doze off. Sometimes I sleep from 6 to 10pm, then wake up and read/watch TV, then go back to sleep from 3 to 7am. Sometimes I channel-surf for hours, finally going to sleep from 12 to 7am.

Weekends have no schedule. This Friday/Saturday, for instance:  I initially went to sleep on the couch at 10pm Friday, woke up at 3am Saturday, read a bit and ate something, went back asleep until 9am... Went in to work Saturday to do overtime hours, got my hair cut, came home @5pm and felt utterly compelled to lie back down on my couch and watch TV and sleep until 10:30pm, then woke up and cleaned various parts of my house and painted a table and hand-washed a sweater and then went online.

What if someone else were around the house? (1) I'd feel guilty about disturbing my guest after 10:30pm. (2) I'd probably be angry if the guest were moving innocently around the house earlier while I was trying to sleep.

Sigh. I don't know that I should share a space unless the other is willing to put up with me.

No comments: