I started out feeding the ONE cat I named "Penny" back in July. Pretty soon after, though, she brought along her brother, Henny. (Actually, I don't know what sex these cats are --- they're both so bushy, I can't see if they have balls or not!)
Anyway, after 6 months of the two of them hanging around at feeding time (around 5pm when I get home from work), the two lookalikes have very distinct behaviors. Henny (with the scar on his nose) gets uber-excited and aggressive once I open the back door. First thing he does when he sees me is jump at Penny and bat her on her nose. Every single time! Patient Penny always backs up slightly, lets him bat her, then sits and waits for the food. Once I step outside with the food, Henny then jumps at ME! No teeth or claws, but... nearly every single time, he almost immediately jumps at my leg, and sometimes he "gums" my hand ("biting" but not biting)! Such an odd little ritual. He can't help himself with his excitement and pseudo-aggression once the food is coming!
The two look very similar but act so differently. I think of these Joan Crawford pictures. Henny is the one on the left, from "Johnny Guitar" --- a little scruffy and agitated. Penny, on the right, better-groomed and much more patient.


No comments:
Post a Comment