What began as a feeding kindness to what I thought was a singular stray cat (that I named "Penny") in July of 2018 has recently become: The scruffy, scrappy companion to Penny, whom I named "Henny" and thought was a boy, has in recent months become the apparently pregnant girl cat who faithfully waits for me to come home from work every day (along with the older, beaten-up-looking white and tiger-striped cat that I initially named "Papa Penny" --- probably also a girl cat!).
Since last July: Usually, I come home, give whatever cats are hanging out their food, then shut the sliding-glass door and go back in. With the spring-like weather now, I've been leaving the screen door open. Henny (short for "Hennessy" because she acts like an obnoxious drunk little cat) finally complained so much outside my screen door this evening (for about 3 hours) that I finally let her inside. For about 20 minutes, she explored and sniffed rooms, rubbed up against me, tried to lie down calmly, etc., but failed. Too much new information! After about 20 minutes, she headed to the door --- didn't want to, but DID want to go back out.
It's simple to go buy a litter box and litter. Voila --- an "inside cat." But Henny's belly is swollen --- either she's worm-laden or she's about to give birth to a litter of kittens. I'm hoping she'll give birth to them out in whatever secret place those strays hang out in! But somehow I think she's grooming me to be the birth center. Then, I'll soon have to feel mean and give up the kittens to the city pet-control center. (It's no-kill, but still --- it's traumatic. The mama-cat is extremely disturbed when her kittens are taken away.)
Brought this on myself by trying to be kind and feed the one cat that I named "Penny" last July. Penny has long since disappeared. I'm now left with evil-twin "Henny." I like Henny a lot, despite her ongoing obnoxiousness. But I'm annoyed about the kitten-problem that I think she's about to lay on me!
No comments:
Post a Comment