Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Obsidian



Geologically, obsidian is a dark glass that forms from lava that has cooled rapidly.

Metaphysically, here's an online text sample:

Obsidian is a talisman of those who dare to see…the past, the future, or one’s own inner demons and darkest truths. It is no ordinary stone, but nature’s glass formed from volcanic lava and hardened so quickly it formed no crystalline structure. It has no boundaries or limitations, and works rapidly with great power. Its edge can be razor sharp, and its dark, glossy surface polished into cold, hard glass, a “mirror stone” for those prepared to look deep into the inner being, the subconscious, to reveal one’s shadow self…flaws, weaknesses, fears, all. Nothing is hidden from Obsidian

This shamanic stone can be brutal and direct, yet it carries the wonderful power of catharsis and deep soul healing. It reveals the reasons behind one’s imperfections and causes of dis-ease, and provides a clear picture of the changes needed to ameliorate them. It impels growth and resolution, and lends solid support and direction during the process. Obsidian provides essential grounding, connecting the base of the spine to the heart of the earth. It is highly protective, shielding one from negativity in the environment, from others, and from within the self.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I mention the above because I just ordered a pound of raw obsidian from Amazon. I liked the rawness of it, and the blackness of it in my red/back/white living room. But I was also aware of its metaphysical properties and was attracted by the potential "catharsis." While I was winding down last night, reading, I rubbed one of the raw obsidian stones for over an hour before I fell asleep. During the night, I kept waking up and seeing "various triads of city scapes" (put in quotes because while half-asleep I saw 3 different groupings of spiked silhouettes that I couldn't identify). And when I woke up today, I was in an irritable, aggressive mood. Unlike the "I'm getting older, so I must be humble" attitude that I've been semi-trying to nurture recently as an antidote to my regrets over my past spastic behavior while young.
So was this obsidian a GOOD/BAD aggressive thing (like either Viagra or Thomas's "do not go gentle into that good night"), or a good/bad passive thing (like...oh, I dunno---even the saints were more aggressive).

Perhaps I should just order some rose quartz... 
(Ha! Just kidding. There's nothing "rose quartz" about me. I don't relate to "rose quartz" at all. I most likely should try to, but I don't. Obsidian and bloodstone and labradorite are what I've been drawn to so far. The weird, moony, CALMLY [as opposed to RUDELY] psychic labradorite being about as calm as I might ever hope to get.)

No comments: