Wednesday, October 07, 2026

Hemingway Then and Now

I read most of Hemingway back in high school and college (1980s). Here's the "Hemingway portion" of my bookshelf up until earlier this month (sandwiched between Dawn Powell and Harry Crosby---I'm interested in that period; but I now think Hemingway deserves a shelf all to himself, as Fitzgerald currently has).




PBS did a 3-part doc on Hem (2021), which I did not see at the time, but just watched last month (in 2026). Which led me to my recent splurge of Hemingway used-book-buying:


I'm currently in the middle of last-wife-Mary's "How It Was." (Which is a mighty, 600-pg tome. She's a true reporter, with lots of WWII info; she doesn't meet Hem until nearly 200 pages in.)

NOT YET READ:
 
The Hadley bio is from 1992, so I'm guessing this will still be relatively not-political. (Though the reviews on Amazon are primarily from book-club members who have just recently read the 2011 novel "The Paris Wife." Same for reviews of "A Moveable Feast"---almost all are from "Paris Wife" readers.)

The Pauline bio is from 2012. (Still not in the realm of the Communist dogma phase that took over American media after 2016.)

Son Gregory bio: From 1976. Cross-dresser Gregory is currently known on Wikipedia as "Gloria." (And heaven forbid you try to correct that site!) I'm curious as to how much of his fetish he reveals in 1976.

Grandson John bio: 2019. Gregory's son. I highly doubt that anything interesting will appear here, unless he reveals creepy things about his father's fetish.

-------------------------------------

After this latest buying binge, I think I'm pretty much all caught up with Hemingway!
Note that I'm not all that interested in Martha Gellhorn and her career.
I thought that I might be---being an independent women, etc.
But: Her writing career wasn't that interesting at all. 

No comments: