Saturday, June 01, 2019

Delving into George (and Tammy)

I've been on a huge George (and Tammy) kick for the past few months.

Not an absolutely new kick, because I first started listening to both around 1994, when I was in grad school in San Francisco and missing home and first "discovered" Country. Back then, though, my budget was very limited: I treated myself to one Tammy Greatest Hits CD and one George boxed set ("The Spirit of Country").

Nowadays, though, with my newfound "disposable income," I've been indulging. The biggest expenditure ("splurge" sounds more fun) has been on the Bear Family George Jones boxed sets: Every single recording from the beginning through 1971. In addition to that: Various Tammy CDs and George Live CDs and duet CDs and some LPs, plus every used bio I could find.

Collecting something that you care about feels satisfying, both spiritually and (much less spiritually) when you happen to find a good deal. But the trouble with delving into George and Tammy: The incongruity between their beautiful voices and obvious love for each other with the utter neurotic and destructive messes they were internally, and the outer results...Living for months with how beautiful they sounded together and their trying and failing to love each other because of their obvious shortcomings has been awful and depressing -- kind of gives you no hope.

Oh, but that doesn't stop me. I want to learn MORE! :)  Next up: I just spent $30 apiece on 3 CDs from Australia's Raven records: George '70s, '80s, and '90s.







No comments: