Last Thursday night--yes, while drunk--I visited the website of my old employer, specifically to see if their 2019 Annual Report (AR) had yet been published.
Background: When I first started the job as a temp, in February 2014, my first task was to do an editing read of the 2013 AR, which was still in very haphazard shape. That year, the 2013 AR wasn't published until April 2014.
Once I was hired officially, later in 2014, I made it a point as editor that the AR for the previous year should come out by the end of January of the next year, early February at the latest! Which it did.
This year, 2020, I was especially interested in seeing how they'd done without me. When I left in October 2019, I'd made sure that I'd completely edited all of the text available at that time--about two-thirds of the final material. They got it out by February 20.
But when I checked the editing credits, I saw that I wasn't listed. Credits went to the editor with one year on the job, then a freelancer (former longtime editor for the company, who'd retired 6 years ago), then the brand-new hire.
Not trusting my old boss at all, I sent an e-mail to the Director, explaining the majority of the editing work that I'd done before I left and politely asking for a credit... He was very nice---and when I again checked the PDF of the Annual Report online, I'd been given a credit (albeit at the very end of the above motley crew of editors).
I was happy to be given the proper credit, but it was also weird delving back in to the politics of that place. It kind of opened the old can of worms again, and I felt psychologically down for a few days. The Director himself ultimately made it OK, but I again had to think about how squirrelly my old immediate boss was, and how she screwed me over, salary-wise, while pretending to be so "kindly" on the surface (and being so incompetent all the way around). Yuck. Glad I got the credit, and glad that I got a dig in at the old boss with the Director. But...yuck. Like getting digs in at the old lover just because you haven't found anyone new yet. Looking forward to moving on.
No comments:
Post a Comment