Sunday, September 26, 2021

I Wanna Be Your Dog (1969)

First punk song!

Just got through reading "Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk." When I read about the scene in the '70s as a teen, I was so far away from it (living out in the country in Texas) yet wanted to be a part of it, because I thought it was all about how angry you felt inside---and how you expressed yourself and how you did your hair and what tattered clothes you wore to represent how you felt inside. Reading about it today, I realize the music was mainly tangential and that "punk" meant posing and doing drugs to the point of being unable to function and being violent and, in Sid Vicious's case, killing cats by strangling them.

I may have been an Angry Young Woman, but I was also literate and functional within society. Plus too blonde and involuntarily wholesome-looking. 30 years ago, I once threw a grill through a window  while drunk and angry at my first girlfriend, but 99.9 percent of the time, I never could look or act like those scumbags.

And I look at my 5 cats now and wonder what kind of psychopath could EVER look into a cat's beautiful face and even THINK about hurting it. (Stabbing Nancy Spungen, who cares?---she was a scumbag just like Sid Vicious---and his drug-addled mother. But a beautiful, innocent cat?)

No comments: