A couple of hours ago, an earnest young man knocked at my door with a petition to "Save the Environment." He first introduced his petition as a city-wide (Austin) initiative. Knowing that Austin is uber-liberal and uber-environmentalist, I asked him what Austin could possibly be doing wrong... He then immediately changed tack and said, "Well, this is more about Donald Trump and what he's doing to hurt our environment..."
Me: "Well, I love Donald Trump, and don't see what he's done to hurt the environment."
Kid: "OK, goodnight."
Me: "'Bye."
p.s. Regarding "climate change": (1) The Earth goes through climate-change cycles every 15,000 years or so. We're now entering a warming period. At one time in the past, all of Texas and the center of America used to be covered by the Western Inland Sea. And at another time in the past, all of the northeastern United States used to be covered by glaciers. The Earth is very old. It's been through many, many changes. (Weather records by humans, on the other hand, have only been kept for the past 200 years or so.)
(2) I keep reading online: "What will the polar bears do if there's global warming?!" After a little research, I learned that today's polar bears are only plain ol' brown bears that migrated north a couple of thousand years ago. With warming, I'm sure the polar bears will eventually turn right back into brown bears. It'll be OK, snowflakes.
(3) The Paris Climate Accord that Trump has allegedly pulled out of: The US is currently maintaining the standards of the accord. What we're NOT doing is continuing to give millions of dollars to other countries like India in bribes to help their non-existent "environmental efforts."
No comments:
Post a Comment