Back when I worked as a copy editor at the publisher Holt, Rinehart and Winston in Austin from 1998 thru 2006, my boss's wife was an editor there. Known as a highly competent editor. She was plain-looking, with a cool, well-bred (rich) demeanor. An intellectual pose.
Some things that I learned about this "intellectual" while I worked with her (during work-group gatherings):
She couldn't understand why people felt the need to do Civil War re-enactments. (Me: People want to feel close to their ancestry and roots.)
She spoke proudly about a Sociology class in sexuality that she took at UT-Austin that led her and classmates to boldly enter "Chain Drive," a now-defunct leather bar in Austin, to interview workers and patrons. (Me: Me and my first girlfriend--a dominatrix--used to actually hang out there.)
Just recently I was doing an Internet search for former Holt co-workers. This woman is now the owner of a freelance editing company. And, not at all surprisingly, given her lack of any kind of actual real-life knowledge...she supports Beto O'Rourke.
No comments:
Post a Comment