Monday, May 03, 2021

Leave Your Fucking Pet at Home!

 https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2019.php

According to the above site, from 2005 to 2019, dogs killed 521 people in the US. Of these deaths, pit bulls were responsible for 346 of the 521.

I don't have stats on "mere" non-lethal attacks.

 

I bring this up because today I went into a Nordstrom Rack store for the first time. And was startled to see a young woman and her boyfriend in the store with their pit bull.

First of all: Why are dogs even allowed in ANY store? I used to hear that it was for "emotional support" purposes, but lately that excuse has even faded away. (Kind of like "medical marijuana." Like hell you need it for "medicinal" purposes. You just want to smoke it.)

There's no reason for any pet to be in any store. I suspect it's some sort of nonsensical "virtue signalling" by the store ("Look how super-cool we are!").

I think it was in an Old Navy store last year or so when a super-friendly dog in the store jumped all over me---totally non-threatening, but WHY in the world should I, while shopping, be subjected to an animal slobbering all over me? And this particular pit bull in Nordstrom Rack today---It wasn't doing anything, yet... why was it there? Especially given this particular breed's history of violence, even when previously a perfectly nice pet.

And if dogs are allowed in stores... Why not cats on leashes? Or a rabbit on a leash? Why not gerbils in pockets? Why not snakes looped around their owners' necks? Why not? My own cats don't even want collars placed on them, and they're perfectly content at home. But I've seen cats around my apartment complex being walked on leashes. Why shouldn't such leashed cats also be allowed in stores? What if one of the dogs in a store doesn't like a cat or a rabbit in a store? 

Do you see how stupid all of this is? Currently the whole situation is kept in check because non-dog pet owners aren't as ridiculously self-righteous to the point of demanding that we be able to shop with our pets. Do you see the mayhem that would ensue if cat/rabbit/gerbil/snake owners started demanding the same ridiculous "rights"?

Leave your fucking pet at home!

 

No comments: