Had to sit through 2 hours of Google Fiber being installed in my apartment today (after "45 minutes to 1 hour" claim). Was relieved to learn that having the Google Fiber option did not mean that I was FORCED to get it (nor did the workers installing it interfere with my Spectrum Internet service). Unlike the recent conversion in my apartment complex of all washers/dryers to APP-ONLY. Or the recent conversion of America per Biden order to VAX-ONLY (or else you won't have a job).
RE the app-only washers: About 2 years ago, the complex went from quarters to swiping debit cards---that was perfect for me. (Constantly having to ask store-owners for quarters was a pain; a debit-card swipe was easy.)
After the app-only switch last month, I've now done a few loads of washes with the app, and no glitches (other than the app not recognizing one load of laundry in a dryer, so I had to move the load to a recognized dryer). Luckily, I bought a smart phone last July. What if I hadn't, though? What was wrong with the debit-card option---which has always been glitch-free.
As for the Google Fiber installation:
The main guy doing the installation was from El Salvador. After complimenting me on my uncluttered apartment (he said that most of the apartments he'd been in today had so much stuff against the walls, it was hard to install the Google Fiber stuff), he then saw that I had Fox on TV, which led to a discussion about political beliefs. He came to the US 30 years ago after escaping from El Salvador's FMNL communist government. And last year, one of his work-trucks was caught amidst the Austin riots, and he instructed his workers to get out rather than engage. (This revelation because we were discussing the Kyle Rittenhouse court proceedings being shown on cable---I argued that had the city officials allowed the police to quell the riots, then there would have been no need for any citizens to go out to attempt to "help.")
After the above hard-core El Salvadoran vet was finished with HIS Google Fiber work, he sent in his minion to finish the job, a young guy from Saudi Arabia that he earlier said "didn't know how to work." (Ah, the different prejudices among different people.) This young guy was pleasant enough, and at the end of his tasks, while he and I were chatting about how much faster Google Fiber might actually be, he looked up at my wall where I had a framed picture of Tammy Wynette and George Jones, and asked: "Is that you up there?"
Me: What?!
Him: Is that you in that picture?
Wow! Thank you, myopic young man from Saudi Arabia!
He then asked if that man with her in the picture was blind! I couldn't quite explain the history of Tammy Wynette and George Jones, but asked him to be sure and look up the song "Stand By Your Man." (But, yes, George Jones may have been blind.)
No comments:
Post a Comment