Monday, November 22, 2021

Thanksgiving Supplies!

 Went grocery shopping today. Prepared for Thanksgiving by myself on Thursday!

 

Back in the '90s, working among fellow 30-something hipsters, one girl said to me smugly re her and her boyfriend: "We're going to a bar and ordering hamburgers for Thanksgiving." As I said at the time: Not me. I can go to a bar and order a hamburger any day of the week. Who wants that same depressing shit on Thanksgiving?

At that time, in the '90s, I had my mother's home to go to. The crescent rolls and cranberry sauce were canned, as above---and I like them like that! But the turkey and potatoes and pie were home-made. I miss those. But I reproduce the whole scenario as best I can. Will heat some of the above, as required, and watch the Dallas Cowboys play on TV, as I have since my youth---it will be a reproduction of my childhood Thanksgiving day, as close as possible. (Even when I was in San Francisco or New York for Thanksgiving, I always at least bought a frozen turkey dinner and ate that in mocking honor of the day. And the Cowboys have always been there for every Thanksgiving.)

The only thing I forgot today while grocery-shopping: My LeSeuer peas! My first Thanksgiving with my first girlfriend in 1989, I made a big scene and insisted that we go back to the store for said peas. Hmmm----Will I be so insistent with myself this week?

No comments: