Sunday, November 14, 2021

You Get Your Turn, If You're Lucky

I've got two varying Theories o' Life:

One: When a man ejaculates, he releases millions of sperm. Only one of those millions of sperm reaches the woman's egg. And even if the sperm reaches the egg and fertilizes it, the woman may then choose to abort you. So if you're actually born, be extremely grateful: You're one in millions.

Two: At one of my lowest points, I saw an episode of "The Twilight Zone" on TV:
"The After Hours," from 1960. A woman shopping in a department store encountered various oddly behaving sales-people and mannequins. As it turned out, the woman herself had been one of the mannequins, who were each allowed a brief time to go out into the world, and it was now time for her to go back.

Watching that "Twilight Zone" episode, I had a flash of recognition: We're all like those mannequins. You get your turn, and then you must go back. Be grateful for your brief chance. (And be grateful if you even had a chance in the first place.)

No comments: