Thursday, September 01, 2022

Entering the World o' Women

I've never been super-feminine or super-nurturing (ha!). In fact, I'm kind of intellectual and aggressive (albeit fair)! If I had had a family, I would have been "The Dad" out there teaching the kid to both catch the ball and do his/her best at figuring out the homework (and taking them to work with me)---and, yes, getting peeved if they did poorly in school (or didn't even TRY to catch the ball---which I realize not everyone is good at---but you gotta TRY).

I also remember a few family holiday dinners where, post-meal, I would immediately retreat to the living room to watch whatever game was on: Cowboys on Thanksgiving, Spurs or Longhorns on Christmas. Leaving my mother and sister-in-law to chat while they cleaned up (similarly, to chat while they prepared the meal, which I also had absolutely no interest in doing---not out of laziness, but...just no interest, though I would always help clear the table).

Post-menopause, though, I find I'm mellowing as far as "the World o' Women" goes. Not as far as cooking and cleaning, but... CRYSTALS!

I have a good hairdresser that I like, and for the past few years pre/during/post Covid, aside from Covid, we've mainly been chatting about our pets and how to get rid of pet hair on clothes/furniture/etc. Plus, we're both interested in True Crime (though she reads more recent things, and I'm more into historical stuff like Lizzie Borden and Bonnie & Clyde and Leopold & Loeb).

One thing that really got everybody in the whole salon going, though, during my visit was a discussion on crystals! I've just started learning about and buying them in the past few months. While at my hairdresser's station, I noticed a selenite tower for the first time... Why, I have my own selenite tower! And what is that other thing? (It was an ugly piece of black kyanite---I don't like black kyanite at all, but my queries about it got other hairdressers involved about why they loved it---and got me researching its psychic properties afterwards: "This stone helps with voice recognition, expression/self-expression, and contact with spirit guides. It can help you understand why there are gaps in your life purpose or missing pieces of the life puzzle."

Similarly, when I checked out to pay, I noticed for the first time a huge 8-inch chunk of raw peridot (my August birthstone), which must have cost $300 at least, plus similarly expensive chunks of amethyst placed elsewhere. Once I mentioned/identified these to the girl at the counter, she lit up and started recommending all sorts of local crystal shops to me---actually helpful, since I would rather go and choose my stones in person and feel the vibe rather than just ordering online.

All of the crystal stuff, which I'm genuinely interested in, was definitely a bonding experience. Since, post-50, I don't have kids (or cooking) that I can bond with other women about, it was nice to discover SOMETHING (well, besides cats and Lizzie Borden).



No comments: