Tonight, while working at the computer, I had on Bravo's "Real Housewives of NYC" in the background. (Most of the "Housewives" shows are guilty pleasures for me.)
One of the themes of tonight's show, via conversations between Ramona Singer and Bethenny Frankel, was of growing up in abusive households. I wasn't paying super-close attention, but... I THINK I heard Ramona say that one of the nasty things she witnessed while growing up in an abusive home was her mother being dragged by her hair down a hallway... That caught my notice because at age 12, my father dragged ME by the hair down the hallway. (He didn't like the fact that I was in my bedroom both watching TV AND writing in my diary at the same time. He'd told me to stop writing, and I didn't.)
Glad that a rich woman talked about this on a so-called "junky" TV show. It is, indeed, traumatic to watch this happen to your mother. And imagine if you're only 12 and it happens to you personally. (I can kind of see two grownups going at each other for deeply personal reasons. But... what's your "personal reason" for attacking a 12-year-old for writing in her diary while watching TV, you POS.)
(Another, albeit much more minor, related memory: When I was forced to live with my mother for 3 months in 2010 after coming home from NYC, I was once lying on her couch during the day watching "Real Housewives." Mom to me: "What does [watching that] say about you as a person?")
No comments:
Post a Comment