Sunday, August 18, 2019

Making My Bed (and now being able to lie in it!)

My bed has been a no-go zone since around May, when the kittens (born April 6) first ventured out from underneath it, to on top of it, to begin peeing on it---on the comforter, on the top part of the sheets, on the bottom of the pillows. I thought the pee would never end. As it turned out: Mini Solomon, initially the main pee-problem, has long since grown out of it. But in the meantime, the pee-stained bedding sat there; I have been sleeping on the couch ALL of the time to avoid dealing with it.

This weekend, though, I slept all day Saturday, then got up around 4pm determined to do EVERY bit of my wash: comforter, bed-pad, sheets, pillow cases, throw-blanket. Luckily, the apartment laundry was completely empty, all 4 washers to myself in the heat of the afternoon. After about 3 hours, I got everything (all bedding plus 3-weeks'-worth of clothes) done. I don't know that the comforter got that clean: I stuffed it into a small washer when I should have either taken it to a laundromat with an industrial-sized washer or to a dry cleaner's. Still: I did SOMETHING with it. And now my bed is (pretty much) fresh/cat-pee-free and ready for Fall (with the brown sheets instead of the red or burgundy; changing sheet hue according to season has always been my poor-girl's idea of...not "class" but rather simply "having enough money to own 3 or 4 sets of sheets instead of just 1 and being able to change them out accordingly"---like finally owning several pairs of white pants and shoes, in the past considered "extra," and looking forward to wearing them during the "official" 3-months summer season).

In the fall and winter, I'm looking forward to sleeping with all of the cats in the much-more-spacious bed. Right now, couch-wise, Solomon gets on my chest when I'm reading, then, when I turn out the light and turn on my side, settles on my hip --- he/she stays there for 3 or 4 hours at a time. Which is very sweet, but NOT when I'm trying to toss and turn and get settled. Hopefully the bigger bed will give everyone, including me, space to stretch out.



No comments: