Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Rizzo in GREASE: "Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee"





While Tipper Gore's daughter set off a national firestorm in 1985 by listening to Prince's "Darling Nikki" in her mother's presence, I and my fellow 13-year-old neighborhood girlfriends got in more local trouble in 1978 for singing this song at the top of our lungs around our houses. (Pretty sure that it was the "lousy with virginity" line that tipped most of the mothers off; otherwise, I don't think they would have noticed.)

A funny side-note: After seeing the film with me at the theater, my mother actually expressed her official disapproval of the ending of "Grease," wherein Sandy "goes bad" by putting on spandex pants and teasing her hair. Even I knew, at age 13, that it was all in fun. (Except---see the next song--- I kind of DID want a bad boy like that, and to dance with a bad boy like that! Sandy's transformation was actually exhilarating!)

No comments: