Sunday, June 20, 2021

Keeping Up With The Kardashians (2006 to 2021)

I used to watch regularly, have not watched in the past couple of years. There's a marathon going on now on "E!", which I've had on in the background for the past 12 hours or so...

What I remember from the very early days was the relative naturalism---the mean, petty fights among the sisters, the annoying personality of Bruce. Kris and Scott and Khloe were always my favorites because they often had actually funny, biting things to say.

And, as the show progressed, some real drama (sometimes news) developed:

Kim and Kris Humphries' 70-day marriage
Kourtney and Scott minor saga
Khloe and Lamar saga
Rob/Black Chyna minor saga
Bruce/Caitlyn saga
Kim and Kanye courtship/marriage (not that interesting because so choreographed, but still you hoped for something real on camera)
Kim meeting Trump and freeing Alice Marie Johnson

As I've been watching the marathon from the near-beginning, a couple of things I've noticed:

Kim and Khloe started out with bright eyes and bright remarks. They ended up with dead eyes and plaster faces and generic comments. (Thought I still have future post-camera hopes for Kim and her legitimately attempted legal career.)

Rob K deteriorated from a thin white man to a fat black-speaking slug. His black-speak at one point: "Them females get all emotional." (His well-educated father would be turning in his grave.)

Note that between the show's opening photo in 2006 and the final photo in 2021, the only two men, Bruce and Rob, have disappeared. (In the years between, the other men also disappeared.)


No comments: