My first attempt at being a groupie.
After listening to and loving the "Get The Knack" album in 1979: When I learned that The Knack was coming to the Dallas/Fort Worth Area, I printed out hand-made flyers advertising the concert and stuck them all over my high school's lockers.
Before seeing the show: I made a glittered poster: "We Want Doug Backstage!"
After listening to and loving the "Get The Knack" album in 1979: When I learned that The Knack was coming to the Dallas/Fort Worth Area, I printed out hand-made flyers advertising the concert and stuck them all over my high school's lockers.
Before seeing the show: I made a glittered poster: "We Want Doug Backstage!"
And a friend lent me her tube-top. When my mom saw the tube-top, she told me I couldn't wear it. OK. I buttoned up my glitter-shirt over it. Then unbuttoned the shirt once we arrived at the show.
The friend's mom dropped us off at SMU's McFarland Auditorium in Dallas. I let a college-boy grab my 14-year-old ass; he then gave me and my friend backstage passes. Where I met the band, got autographs (including Sharona's) on the glossy program, and kissed both the bass player (Prescott Niles) and the guitarist (Berton Averre).
I wore my new baseball-sleeve Knack shirt and jeans-with-Pass-stuck-to-thigh to school the next Monday because I was a big show-off; and especially I wanted to show off to another friend who had recently gone to a KISS concert sans any backstage action! (Yes, I realize that getting backstage to KISS would have been much harder!) :)
I'm good about saving things, but all of these things (the pass, the shirt, the program), my mom later threw out.
I'm good about saving things, but all of these things (the pass, the shirt, the program), my mom later threw out.
p.s. Years later, maybe 1990, I again saw The Knack, this time at a smaller venue, Austin's Back Room, on their downslide. That night, my only contact with a band member was a brief conversation with drummer Bruce Gary in front of the bar. I'd lost my mojo! (Though, in my defense, I had a new girlfriend and was at the club with a couple of gay guys, and was no longer testing my Groupie Powers!) :)
No comments:
Post a Comment