Monday, September 07, 2026

Viva Les Amis (2005 doc)

 Brief doc of Austin's "Les Amis" cafe (featured in the 1990 movie "Slacker").
This Austin cafe existed from 1970 to 1997. 
(My time spent there: In the early '90s, 
I was in love with a girl at the library where I worked. 
She had a group of friends that went there every Friday after work, 
and I was invited---Gee, thanks!)

While this short touts Les Amis as THE place to hang out for artsy UT students:
In actuality, most of us English/Art majors in the '80s went to the Union, 
and to the Cactus Cafe, both located on campus.
The Union offered cheap pitchers of beer, and you could smoke there at that time. 
This is where groups of us would go after a poetry class to hang out and discuss.
The Cactus Cafe, just adjacent to the Union, was a bit more chi-chi---
more suited during the day for sitting by yourself and reading/writing.
(At night, a singer/songwriter forum.)



No comments: