The last time I bought groceries was on July 31. It's now August 26. For the past 6 months or so, I was going grocery shopping every 2 weeks, and spending about $180 every time. (Way up from, say, 2 years ago, when I'd spend about $100 every 2 weeks.)
Not going grocery shopping wasn't purely intentional. Part of it was laziness and annoyance with my local market. (The check-out people and baggers are terrible, and I'm tired of either telling them not to put avocadoes on the bottom of the bag or else complaining to their managers about not bagging my ice-creams so they don't leak.)
And I have plenty of money for groceries, and I've had plenty of opportunities to go grocery shopping at all times of the day, all days of the week. I just haven't FELT LIKE IT. (Bartleby: I prefer not to.)
And so, in the month of August, I have thus far spent ZERO on groceries. Luckily, I had a LOT left over from late July: My milk and OJ were/are still good (expiration dates of about August 8, but nothing has actually gone bad). I had cereal (until last week, when I ran out and then had to go to the oatmeal); I had spaghetti (and sauce) and rice; I had Ranch Style beans and black beans; I had tortillas; I had a big bag o' fish-sticks and a big bag o' frozen fries; I had a block of cheddar cheese and potatoes for baking; I had plenty of condiments.
I didn't have favorite stuff like avocados and salsa, or salmon, or hamburger meat, or hummus, or pot-stickers, which all ran out after week 2 of my last shopping excursion.
My Cokes did run out, but I bought 2-liter bottles from the local corner store, which was ultimately cheaper than buying 20-packs of 12-oz cans.
In Cat News: I normally buy the cheapest canned tuna (72 cents a can) to feed them alongside their daily dry food. I did run out of that, so had to go to a nearby drugstore to buy some 3X more expensive "people tuna" since they didn't have cheap tuna (Starkist, $2 a can). The cats don't like it.
Overall, I did save myself a ton of money by eating up all the leftovers in my fridge/pantry instead of buying new stuff. (I'm at this moment down to basically spaghetti and rice and Saltines and some cheddar cheese and one Ramen and some old Romaine lettuce.)
But... I'm going grocery-shopping this Sunday! And I will SPLURGE! :)
Friday, August 26, 2022
Haven't Bought Groceries Since July
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment