A very fit young woman and her very fit male companion (they both wore athletic gear proclaiming their fitness) were at the Post Office counter right in front of me today. I think they were trying to send out wedding invitations, but the postage price wasn't to their liking. They stood there for an awful long time arguing with the clerk, who tried to explain prices to them. (I was too far away to actually understand what the problem was, though I wished they'd hurry the fuck up.)
As the young woman got more and more agitated, her hunky mate soothingly patted her back, and at one point took over "negotiations" with the postal clerk.
This reminded me of other encounters re a "diva" and her "male companion," all back in the '90s:
(1) A guy and girl at a relatively cheap restaurant, but the guy elaborately doing everything for her, including even opening the menu! (After he ordered for her, I didn't see them speak.)
(2) A guy and girl at a bowling alley (part of an adjunct to my group of friends). The girl clearly wasn't comfortable in a bowling alley, and the guy spent his entire time literally kneeling at her feet, making sure she was "OK." (The girl---not attractive, but obviously with attitude---spent the whole time "posing," not making any attempt to bowl or interact with anyone else.)
(3) A close friend invited me to her husband's bar/restaurant so we could hang out and eat/drink. At one point, my friend started complaining to her husband about how one waitress had "dissed" her. (I was with them the whole time---the waitress didn't dis my friend.)
Is the above what being in a "close relationship" means? Going along with bullshit?
I'll go ahead and add a very personal detail: My brother's house usually looks like something near the "Hoarders" TV show. His car, last time I was in it a few years ago, was equally trashed. I grew up with the guy, and I saw his first few apartments once he moved to Austin to go to college: He was always neat, even as an 18-to-20-year-old kid. His house now is far from "neat." At one point, my brother, wife, and two sons went on vacation, and my elderly mother took it upon herself to clean up the bedroom of her grandsons---within weeks upon the family's return, it quickly reverted to its previous trashed level.
Also: My brother, once a good-looking, fit young man, is now a 275-lb fat slob. How does that happen? Trying to agree with his school-teacher "Social/Emotional Learning" + "You're RACIST!" racist wife?
Wednesday, August 03, 2022
Wanna-be Divas
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment