Although
part of the Wuhan-masking culture was still in place: My hair wasn't
done, I wore no makeup, I just had on a raggedy T-shirt---this time, the below George Jones T-shirt.
(Yeah, pre-Wuhan, when going to the
supermarket, I did make sure my hair was washed, I did put on makeup,
and I did put on a collared shirt!)
The bagger this time asked me what I'd been doing all day. I hesitated because sometimes the store hires retarded people to bag the groceries: Should I just say "Oh, nothin'" out of politeness?
This time, maskless for the first time, and not yet sure if the bagger was retarded or not, I said honestly: "I've been sitting at home all day because my company's not yet back at the office. It's good to get out and grocery shop!"
As it turned out, I don't think the bagger was retarded. He then said, like many guys would, because I was wearing the George Jones T-shirt: "I bet you've been listening to George Jones all day!"
Me: Ha-ha. Well...
Bagger: What was that song...
Me (pretty sure which one he meant, the 1980 Big Song): "He Stopped Loving Her Today"?
Bagger (suddenly belting out across the store at the top of his lungs, sounding uncannily exactly like George): "He stopped loving her today..."
Me (impressed with his audacity and beaming as I wheeled my cart on out): You sing great! You sound just like him!
Isn't that why we all really wear T-shirts with emblems of whatever sort on them? To connect with someone, anyone.

No comments:
Post a Comment