Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Attempt at a peaceful evening.

Woke up today sans hangover, which meant a day of work-from-home not getting irritated by much. Which I didn't. (Amazing how irritating things don't irritate you so much when you wake up after a good night's sleep and after no beer the night before.) The only "chore" I  had for the day was posting a May 10 acknowledgment of the 45th anniversary of Joan Crawford's death (I run a Joan Crawford website).

Work got done, and then I planned to relax a little with the minimal amount of beers I had in the house. (Not the usual 8 or 10, but 5 or 6.) I had a couple of Amazon packages to open, and then I thought I'd list a couple of things for sale on eBay and then settle back to watch basketball playoffs and go to bed early. Like a normal person might do for the evening.

Yeah, well, one of the Amazon packages was remiss, and I had to go leave a bad review and then start a Return. And one of the eBay items I'd bought earlier in the day (a Basquiat book) turned out to be in Spanish, so I had to query about a return for that (I can return if I pay the postage). And the items I was listing for $20 on eBay ended up taking over an hour to photograph and edit and post (and now post about)---it's nice to get rid of extraneous stuff around the house, but...I make a lot more than that an hour and it's a frigging waste of my time to make sure a minor eBay listing looks nice!

So here I am at midnight---hyped up and agitated, as usual.

This has gone on forever, every single night. And it's not actually how I want to live my life. I'm a grown-up and I lived pre-Internet, so I know what it means to NOT be online every day, to NOT have cable. The concept of retiring early with a book and your own thoughts... Your OWN thoughts. Or at least your own thoughts and the thoughts of someone long dead yet profound and thoughtful (unlike the shallow, idiotic people in your current online or television life).

No comments: