Tuesday, May 31, 2022
Lao Tzu: Past, Present, and Future
I normally hate "philosophies" expressed online; and hate even more graphics that go with the blurb. But while I was searching for Zelda Fitzgerald artwork, I came upon this.
A great wave of calm came over me. But then after that initial calm, I had to stop and think (Taoism doesn't encourage thinking---sorry, but I'm neither a cockroach nor a cat. Descartes European, baby): You've GOT to plan for the future or else... Concrete plans are all you have to soften the vagaries of Fate.
So I don't quite agree with Lao Tzu re the future. But re "the past," I do agree. Oh, wait... Sometimes you must look back to the mistaken patterns of the past to try to avoid repeating them in the future... Sigh.
I actually initially posted this as something that had inspired me... But then when I thought about it, the words aren't that helpful at all! :) Kinda like the modern-day "Everything happens for a reason" that I hear spouted even in TV commercials: In my experience, pretty much NOTHING "happens for a reason"--- Almost all of the important things happen quite randomly, despite all of your best-laid plans. I mean, you can lay about a 20% foundation (education, "good choices") to avoid hitting rock bottom when everything else goes astray. But you're not actually in control of most of it. Shit happens. NOT "Shit happens for a reason." :)
Lao Tzu, what the heck were you thinking?! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment