Monday, April 11, 2022

Acting weird (not me!)

Since I've been working at home for the past 2 years, I hardly ever go anywhere aside from the local grocery story. But today I "got to" go somewhere! An offsite location to update my work ID! Weeeeeee! What should have been a 10 minute drive turned into a half-hour meandering through the hills of west Austin (the first time I'd seen them in 20 years). I'd thought that I could take access roads instead of the highway---wrong. There wasn't an "access road." I wound up, after several wrong turns, way out in the hills, scared to take the curves at more than 20 mph, with a big-ass truck or two right on my tail, encouraging me to hurry the fuck up. Finally turned myself around, then wound up in an upper-middle-class neighborhood with lots of signs posted in the front yards congratulating junior on being first in his/her class and/or team. (Can't decide which is more obnoxious: parent signs or "I believe in BLM/Climate Change/Science" signs.)

At some point, I made it to my location. Started to sign in, and while I was doing so, a young woman walked up and stood beside me and started tapping her fingers while I was filling out the form. I looked at her and smiled, and she didn't say anything, so I kept on filling in my name and purpose for visit. When it came to the time, I looked up for a clock. At this point the woman finally spoke: "You don't need to fill that out. Come on."

Really? You really stood there the whole time and tapped your fingers and didn't say that you were the person I was supposed to go with? Please.

Despite the ridiculousness of this person, I still felt much more mellow than I felt the first time I visited 2 years ago: At that time, new job, but I didn't know for how long. And my ID photo looked hideous: Ghostly pale and no haircut for months, and bad reader glasses, and scared-looking. This time, I kind of meandered on in and meandered my way around the dummy of a clerk. Had nothing to do with me except that it was a task that I felt good to have accomplished. And I looked a lot better---I felt bad for the me in that old ID . (On the way home, feeling my oats, I did get into a race of sorts on Burnet Road as an SUV tried to pass me---he beat me on a 35-mph road, though he had to go up to 50 mph to do so. And the engine of a Mazda 2 hardly compares to that of your SUV---congrats, a-hole!) :0

No comments: